Monday, March 21, 2005

Curiouser and Curiouser

I awoke from a strange dream on Sunday morning. I was in a celebrity version of The Amazing Race, where a "real" person was paired with a celebrity. Mine was some middle aged woman writer... who, I still don't know.

We had to take these horse carts and drive them through a lake, and then down a long wooded path that now reminds me of the road from Versaille to the Hamlet of Antoinette. It ended in a rather fake sort of Sleepy Hollow area where we had to open a trap door in the floor of a barn with three walls. The was a big mirror set up in the middle of the structure, and I was stymied by the fact that when Antonio Banderas looked into the mirror, he had no reflection. So I dragged Brad Pitt over to the mirror to check. I think he did have a reflection.

The problem opening the trap door was that it was sealed with paper and tape and more layers of plastic. We had a little pocket knife that we used to tear the bloody thing open, but every time we got to a layer, there was another underneath. For a moment I thought we'd turned up a clue in the paper wrappings. Instead, it turned out to be mail from my school mailbox... stupid teachery junk mail things and memos. I remember one was a notice saying that the company that runs the new software program the school spent $80,000 on was bad and that we had to stop using it. And the attendance sheets. I thought, what the crap? Someone's going to have to send this back to the school. But not now. I've got to win this race.

We finally got the trap door open, and grabbed a torch and were just about to jump in when I woke up.

Watched a great foreign movie yesterday as well - Rosenstrasse. It was about a group of Aryan women during WWII who were married to Jewish men. It was told through a modern day story of a daughter who wants to understand her mother grieving after her father died.

No comments: