Sunday, December 04, 2005

TGIO - Saturday - The Game and Singing

Let me tell you how happy I was that the USC/UCLA game was so one sided... I didn't feel cheated having to leave at halftime to make call time for my choir concert.

We arrived at USC at 7:30 and by 8 the parking structure was closed. (The game started at 1:30 pm.) We were later than some, who at 7:30 were already completely plastered. We made up the time, however with beer, mimosas and this fruit concoction of Robs. The recipe goes something like this:

1 cup of strawberries
1 cup of raspberries
1 cup of blackberries
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of chamord
1 cup of vodka
1 cup of rum

Mix it all together, let it sit in the fridge overnight, then eat the fruit (by itself or over the top of Rob's cheese blintzes) and pour off the alcohol into a pitcher and cut it with club soda. Drink liberally.

Okay, so Rob told me not to drink more than one an hour, because "it goes down like fruit punch, but packs a wallop."

Knowing I had to be suitable for choir, I had one glass, and one mimosa... which was seriously unlike the last game where Liz handed David to me on the phone and I literally had a giggle attack while rolling on the grass. And of course I got ribbed for it yesterday, but I think Annelise was more plastered than I was.

Since I was on the verge of losing my voice, I did no screaming, which was difficult, especially when we were up almost thirty points by halftime. When I heard later that the score was 66-19, I knew that Ol' Pete Carroll had put the third string defense in so UCLA could score a touchdown or two.

I was a bit frazzled before the concert. The director spent most of his time rehearsing the songs with the orchestra. We didn't even run through several of the numbers... which was a bit scary.

I got lots of compliments on my solo, which I'm glad no one knew what it was supposed to sound like. I was also glad I convinced Mom and the Rainbow Girls to help out with the refreshments and the drawing. Mom is very good at getting things done with a minimum of stress.

The concert went okay... the music could have been a bit better. I think that David the Director is choosing more and more difficult music, and so we spent a lot of time on those pieces. Either way, I'm very glad it's over. I've only got two more, and that's it!

No comments: