Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Karaoke

So I forgot to mention the little girl who couldn’t have been more than four, wandering out of the Ben and Jerry’s factory with her parents and a fruit smoothie nearly as big as she was. “Let Daddy have a turn,” her dad said as they passed. She simply shook her head and planted the straw back in her mouth. Not stupid, that one. I only mention it because the same family group of six (from Ohio) without their kid were at the Karaoke night.
We walked in and saw John, the Karaoke DJ slumped over in a chair, singing badly to a few 80’s pop songs. We asked to see the book, and found he really didn’t have one. He had a few photocopied index pages and a lot of loose CD’s. The pickings were few, and mostly related to Bette Midler. Yes. Melissa would have had a fit.
I sang Lean on Me (by accident), Wind Beneath my Wings, and From a Distance.
Clare ordered us drinks and proved once again that the people of Vermont can’t understand British accents. When our drinks arrived, I nearly keeled over when she told me how much they were. They were pint glasses of pretty damn strong drinks for $5.50. Man, we should all get drunk in VT! I only managed about a quarter of mine before shoving it off in Clare’s direction. Yeah, well, I had to drive home… down a mountain road… in the rain.
We had fun, and at the end of the night, Oblivious Omouse wanted to go home because her stomach was beginning to hurt. Two “blokes” approached and wanted me to sing a duet with one of them. I declined politely and got told off in the parking lot by Clare for not seizing the day.

No comments: