Friday, July 13, 2007

They Say It's My Birthday!

So it’s my birthday. It’s only seven, but I’m awake. I have a bit of a headache, but the Diet Coke should take care of that. Hey. It’s my birthday. I’m allowed.
Yesterday was a long day. It started off pretty well as Clare and I went to find the Ancient Burial Ground and my Really Great Grandfather, William Leete, the first governor of Connecticut. When we reached the cemetery, we split up and started searching. Clare was the lucky winner of the first annual Jenny’s Ancestor Hunt! We took pictures and wondered whether the stone had been replaced or not. Then we looked around a bit more and found a HUGE pillar monument dedicated to him right behind the gravestone.
Feeling quite successful, we hopped back in the car and headed to Mark Twain’s House. He was next door neighbors to Harriet Beecher Stowe, but I knew Clare was ready to get the heck out of Hartford, so we just did the main tour. It was very pretty, in that 1890’s Tiffany sort of way. Twain lived there (but not during the summers) for 17 years until he went bankrupt and his wife made him go on a speaking tour. They planned to return, but their daughter whom they left behind, died there.
The trip home Karma caught up with us. Getting over New York’s George Washington Bridge was a pain in the butt, literally. While we flew through New York on the journey north, the journey south was wall to wall traffic… and I had to pee… and I didn’t want to get off the turnpike, for fear on never making it back on.
We finally made it back home, and presented Mel with her gift and chatted like old friends. Then we went to bed at 10 like a bunch of old ladies.

No comments: