Sunday, March 12, 2006

So much for regular like

Once again, it has been over a month since last I've posted... so maybe I'll do like three posts and catch up. I'm not the only one who hasn't posted in a while, so maybe I don't feel that bad. Except I've managed to smash my pinkie a few minutes ago and every time I hit the right shift key I go ouch! Unfortunately I seem to use the right shift key a lot. Especially since I need it to type the word "I." And quotation marks too. Booger. Oww.

So how about Mr. Weather? Holy Cow! Now for some of you folks who don't live in temperate climate, the weather may not seem all that crazy. I woke up yesterday, hankerin' for some bagels, so while Liz washed the dishes, I headed off to Ralphs and the bagel place... the one where a former student of mine works.

Now this kid invited me down to his father's bagel place like every chance he got last year, and even though I've been there before, he's never been there. This time, it was like he was coming down from some bad acid trip.

"Hi, may I help-- Miss M? What're you doin' here? Dude. This is weird. You're like a teacher, man."

Students always get weirded out when they see us out of context. We never leave the confines of our rooms, apparently. We just grow there, complete adults who just disappear into our hidden charging stations at night, hibernating until the bell rings the next day.

I also stopped by the grocery store - which I can never manage to leave without spending $100. I went in for very specific things: Pecans, gingersnaps, Diet Coke and eggs. I came out with $96 worth of groceries and was really really upset when I'd forgotten the eggs. No pumpkin cheesecake today. Sigh.

Now that I've gotten completely off the point with my foray into the grocery world... let me get back to the weather. When I made the decision to leave, it was pouring down rain, but 15 minutes later, when I ventured outside, it was bright and clear with happy fluffy clouds. It stayed that way until about 1ish when Lizzie decided I had to check the mail. So I pulled on my sandals and headed outside. I had to take the back stairs to stay out of the sprinkles.

Then about 4:00 we here this God awful noise, like someone's spilling marbles out on the roof. We open the door and find, all our neighbors are standing at their doorways too. Watching the hail. HAIL!!!! I mean this is Long Beach! What business does ice have falling from the sky! HAIL! Apparently now, Southern Californians have two reasons to bond with their neighbors: earthquakes and freaks acts of the weather.

And about a half hour later when I go to check the mail again... bright puffy clouds.

This morning has shown no signs of hail or rain, but it's pretty dang cold in here. I don't mind my pinkie much anymore, because my fingertips are numb.

No comments: