Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Big Chickens and Screenplays

SWOTD: pavo real - peacock, but literally it translates into "real turkey"... as if turkey wasn't real enough...

So we're working on an animal and "save the planet" unit this week. I've taken advantage of the many pictures from the picture files to grill them on the names of animals. These pictures are from 1982... so the clothing pics are atrocious... but animals haven't changed much.

So I showed a picture to a group and if they got the name right, they got the card and the group at the end with the most gets ten points. I got to the picture of a peacock and they were quite stumped. They called out "pavo real" in Spanish, but no. They gave up and got quiet. Then Noe, bless his heart, shouted out "Big Chicken!" I almost gave it to him for the correct use of an adjective. It's great fun to watch them try to figure out "seahorse." Caballo del mar in Spanish, they keep saying "horse ocean" and "horse water." Not quite.

Anyway... I've been busy working on my fictitious blog... now I just need someone to read it to tell me if it's entertaining... or just generally crap. I'm having fun with it... especially the drawing of little aliens in paint.

Now that I've fixed the links... hopefully someone will give me feedback... hint hint hint.

Read more screenplays from Project Greenlight. The top 1000 are announced on Thurs. I will be seriously heartbroken if at least one of my entries doesn't make it... especially after reviewing 16 screenplays... most of them written by utter hacks. I don't mean to be cruel, but I'm either seriously deluding myself, or I'm actually a better writer than at least 75% or 80% percent of them... judging conservatively. So far the worst one I've read was a utterly plotless Kung Fu action flick set in Bombay, and the best, a comedy set in Latvia. The rest are on a spectrum that is heavy on the lower end.

And a Final Thought: Did you know that okapis are the only animal that can clean its ears with its tongue?

No comments: