Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Final Exams and Monster Quilts

SWOTD: Limpiando - cleaning

I've been cleaning my room out for the past several days... and then I find out they probably won't use it for summer school. Oh well, it means I'll have less junk to deal with next year. Still feel like I've got papers everywhere. I've got two more finals to go, and then I'm outta here.

8:30 Sunday morning I hear my telephone go off. Mom rambles on the machine. So I get out of bed and call her back. She wants to know if I want to go to a quilt show in Saddleback. So I say sure, and off we go. It's rather strange, like going to an art gallery where the art's made up of cloth and they'll put anybody's painting up on the wall. I fell in love with this one "monster" quilt. It was made up of squares with applique monsters on them. I voted it as my favorite.

After we browsed through the rows of quilts, Mom insisted we take a Diet Coke break and rest our feet before looking at the vendors. Mom bought some hand died material and a ruler and scissor rack. I bought kits for 4 of the 9 monsters. Thought I'd just see how well I liked putting it together before putting in the $17 a kit for a full quilt. It would make a cute wall hanging either way.

Mom also told me to sit down and watch this woman making a rug with one inch scrap strips of material. "I bought a kit a while back and you can use it as a summer project." I began to wonder how far back she bought it. Either way, she sprang for Islands on the way home and cut up some strips for me. It's a fairly easy process that uses a crochet hook with a needle eye on the other end. I went to town while watching The Bridge Over the River Kwai... yet another Alec Guiness, Willian Holden movie I'd never seen.

In a less than logical and chronological order, I went shopping on Saturday, buying a new pair of shorts, a dress and jacket, a few shirts, and lots of unmentionables. I also went to Constructive Playthings to get rewards for my classes to raffle off. I had a lot of fun picking out the items.

No comments: