Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Long Time No Blog... and Summer School

SWOTD: Cabeza de Vaca - the name of the guy whose book I'm supposed to read by Thursday. Literally means head of a cow. Yes. I want to name my child Cow Head. I shall have to write that in my book of baby names.

Yeah, I've thought about blogging since school got out, but I really haven't had all that much time... which is weird. So maybe it's more of a gumption thing. I have had all sorts of car problems and living with the rents for a while and now that I'm back on my own turf I might be able to get some stuff done.

Went to my first summer school classes ever today. I'm taking two classes. History - Formation of the US, 1492-1790... but if the prof doesn't speed up her delivery I might be in for some trouble. Teachers don't always make the best students. I wanted to sit her down, write out a script and get her to give us the info she did in half the time. I felt like she was deliberately running down the clock trying to waste my time so she didn't let us out early.

The second class was a lot different. The prof obviously knew what she was doing and I'm not saying that because we have to keep a journal and she agreed that blogs count so she might be reading this. :) She spoke quickly, but clearly and used a lot of clear analogies that I couldn't go near with my kids.

So we're working in groups in that class. Right. So we're supposed to go and stand in the corner of the genre we want to work on. Dark comedy, broad comedy, romance or romantic comedy, drama, and action/thriller. I was the only one standing in my corner. I was sad and lonely. Nobody wants to write a romantic comedy??? Sigh. We managed to talk one more person into my corner for a group of two. It should work. She knows nothing about film, and is taking the class for the credit and I'm trying to make a second career out of being a writer. At least I felt useful, re-explaining the notes the professor gave in class, using examples from the book. She'd taken over a page and a half of notes. I had about half a page in a little journal size notebook.

So the homework in this class - write a journal every day, and go see a movie once a week in the theater. Hey! Now I have an excuse. But Mommy... it's my homework!

So we were trying to brainstorm ideas and I had nothin'. Not even a G. Nothin'. Then on the ride home I realize... of course I have something! Idea! Idea! But it's getting late.

On the way home I stopped at the grocery store to buy those essentials... like OJ, milk, eggs, cheese, and CPK frozen pizzas. I get to the checkout stand and there it was, staring at me. Impulse buy! So I went home after buying my dinner and a movie and sat and watched Frodo and Sam and the delicious Vigo and Orlando fight the evils of Sauron.

Yum!

No comments: