Sunday, November 07, 2004

Baty Report

So on Friday I get home feeling good from what I hope was a productive parent conference, in half English, half Spanish no less, and we head off to Vroman's Bookstore in Pasadena. It's fairly famous, as it is one of the best and largest independent bookstores in CA. The carpool lane seriously rocks. We managed to cut off about half an hour, but still got stuck in the downtown crappiness.

We were still early though, which is not a problem at all. Had lots of fun meandering around. We were seriously disappointed by the fact you couldn't take Vroman's merchandise into the connecting coffee bar.

I found a seat in about the third row, and some familiar faces came in. There's always that awkward moment when you know someone looks familiar, but you've only met them once or twice but you've seen their posts online? It's weird. I recognized Cybele right away, as she sat next to me. I pulled out my little PDA and keyboard, intent on getting a little writing done and looking very industrious to everyone else. I wasn't the only one with a laptop or writing device there.

"So do you like writing on that keyboard?" A voice from above me asked. I looked up and there was Chris. I suppose it must be strange to be in that semi-celebrity state where people just look at you slacked jawed before processing the information that yes, Chris Baty was talking to me.

I don't remember my answer, but I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly... probably not at all.

Chris started to pass out sticker name tags that said, "Hello, my novel is _____."

"Don't fill them out yet," he said. "Wait until November 25 or so and fill in the space with 'DONE.'"

I thought this was hilarious. Cybele said she'd use it as a laptop sticker.

Chris started off his lecture with saying right away that he wasn't going to actually read from the book, just discuss his philosophy. He took a poll. About 75% percent of us were registered Wrimos, about 25 percent of us were repeat offenders, and only about six had "won" before.

He talked about half an hour, outlining NaNo with his witty reparte and then opened it up to a discussion, where the new Wrimo's could ask questions which could be answered by either Chris or the veterans. It was a really cool, relaxed way of totally covering the reasoning and pitfalls of NaNoWriMo.

After the hour and a bit was over, I stood in line and got my book signed. It says, "To Jenny, Here's to a third month of inspiration & literary mayhem!" Coolio isn't it? I suppose I need to practice all my fun quips for when I have to do booksignings.

At home, I caught up on my word count while Lizzie watched Without a Trace.

So on Saturday, I get up, make my wordcount of the day, then head out to The Tropical, a Cuban cafe on Silverlake and Sunset Blvds. There, in a very dark and scenic room with poured concrete floors, leopard print couches, and a calendar on the wall filled with AA and NA meeting dates, about 15 LA Wrimos gathered with Chris Baty for coffee. Russ, my pal Aarrrgh_User name, Cybele, and several others all sat and talked about what we were doing, how we were doing, and how we planned to do.

We went around the room and announced word counts.

I HAD MORE WORDS THAN CHRIS BATY! Bwahahahahaha! Of course I'm not exactly on a book tour or driving from San Fran to LA and back. But he should have plenty of time to write on the plane to DC and Texas next week.

Overall, I found Chris Baty to be as funny and inspiring in person as he is in print. I feel absolute sorrow for those of you who cannot bask in his presence and feel the "warm sexual glow" of a real novelist. (His words... not mine.)

No comments: