Thursday, February 26, 2004

Cavemen vs. Astronauts

Spanish Word of the Day
revisa - (ray-vee-sah) a review. My ELD classes have been reviewing for their test tomorrow. It's the first time I've used my little miniboards and teams and they got so excited, a teacher came in from next door and asked us to quiet down.

I had total participation... and if you're a teacher, you know exactly how hard that can be to accomplish.

Right. So here's a question for you... If cavemen and astronauts got in a fight, who would win? Angel and Spike were arguing about it last night on Angel.

Hmm... I did go to the bookstore yesterday. I went for 1 and came out with... ummm... 6. I couldn't resist. I bought:

1. girly book called Royally Jacked about a girl who's parents are getting a divorce and she has to choose between moving to an apartment with her mom and her mom's new girlfriend, and moving to a small foreign country to live with her dad in an apartment in the palace. It was cute, and I read it in like two hours so my students could borrow it and read it.

2. I also bought a book about "the real truth about college" - also for my students.

3. A Fottrot anthology - man I love that strip!

4. WOLP US Ed. (The Well of Lost Plots, US Edition) complete with extra chapter.... yeah, I know... it was there and I couldn't resist. I know I'm going to a book signing next week and could have waited. In case you are unfamiliar with Jasper Fforde and his Thursday Next novels... ummm... read them! But only if you like to read classic literature and think that books should be just as popular as T.V.

5. A book called Crazy English. Did you know that the word antidisestablishmentarianism is NOT the longest word in the English language? There's one example in the book of a word that's actually a page long. It's amusing... at least for English teachers.

6. Quirkyalone - Because I've decided that's me.

Anyway, after the bookstore I drove around, looking for that specialty yarn shop Mom mentioned was somewhere in the Los Alamitos Marina. (Didn't find it) I then went over to Farm Boy and bought some fresh fruit, and Pick Up Sticks for dinner.

Got home and camped out with my books and Chinese food. Man... have you ever accidentally bitten and chewed a hot pepper from Kung Pao Chicken? Now I like hot, but this was aaaaaaaaHHHH hot. Crying hot. Really. Tears and everything.... still didn't clear my sinuses though.

Really wish my sinus headaches would go away - dissipate rather than enervate.

No comments: