Thursday, July 10, 2008

York Pt 2

July 10, 2008

Let's just say I'm feeling my little boom trip and the subsequent Minster Tower steps today. According to Mel, we made five stops today… shall we count them off?

  1. Clifford's Tower – its claim to fame (besides being atop a Big Pile of Dirt like Canterbury's Dane John Mound) is that some Christians chased about 150 Jews inside and told them to convert or die. Guess what they chose? You guessed it, death. Wouldn't be much of a story otherwise. Mel's camera quit and so now I am the sole purveyor of pictures! Anyway, climbing up top scared Mel especially when I mentioned that the walls leaned a bit. I told her to head down first to get a pic, and as I came down, I heard her talking to a group of school kids. When they found out she was American she was pronounced a "Superstar!"
    "Wow. I wouldn't want to come here on my holiday!" "Well I wouldn't want to go to Hollywood on my holiday," I replied. Their eyes lit up. "Oh I would." Then the next obvious question about movie stars. "Well, my sister has a picture of her with Brad Pitt."

    Yeah, we were Uber Superstars.

  2. York Castle Museum – which is not a museum about a castle or York, as the name might suggest. It is in fact sort of a period museum with different rooms made up for different decades or themes… for example the 60's or wedding gowns. The worst thing about the museum were the hoards of school children being ferried about. It was as if all the schools were having their end of term field trips… all at once.
  3. Mr. Sandwich – for a Pound, you could have one of 48 different sandwiches. It was recommended by our innkeeper and I plan to thank her tomorrow. Mel had Coronation Chicken and I chose cucumber, cheese and walnut. We both agreed that Americans have missed the mark on sandwich making. We sat down on the steps outside the public toilets and ate our lunch.
  4. Then it was shopping time! Went into the Edinburg Wool Shop and found a 15 Pound Cardigan on sale. Go me. Then we went off to Evans, a plus size shop and the only thing Mel liked was a 50 Pound dress. Nope.
  5. Vikings! Again beset by kids. One particularly grumpy Viking muttered something about chopping them up and putting them in a stew, followed by a side comment that they'd already had 12 school groups come through already. Mel and I lost each other for a few minutes but then found each other again. I'd been waiting in the gift shop, and she'd been waiting outside.
  6. Ice cream – Okay, I had lemon sherbet while we pondered over our next stop. Tried to go to an art museum but it was closed. So what does one do when one wants to waste time? Liz can answer that question – bookshop! Waterstones is sort of the B&N of England. Bought 2 books. We also stopped at a stationary shop to buy Mel a new fountain pen or three, because apparently they are the one item that's actually cheaper and easier to find in England. I also got a 4 color pen and some mini mechanical pencils.
  7. The Roman Baths – Only in England would you find a museum below a pub… or is that a pub over a museum? Anyway, we were lured into the pub by 6 Pound 50 early dinner special and Mel's desire for Yorkshire Pudding. A bit on the heavy side but yummy. A good deal.
  8. Last note: This is Mel's fancy new fountain pen. We are back home and I'm not sure I like it. I definitely like my 4 color one better. Anyway, that's all she wrote for today!

No comments: