Friday, April 30, 2004

Bruise by cupcake

Today is Sam's day for blog mentioning. He's one of two of my Cambodian students in my Portfolio class. Before class started he asked, "Hey Miss Mathis, you want a cupcake?" My mistake was to say sure. I held out my hands and he tossed it to me. Instead of neatly catching, it bounced off my hands and hit my jaw. Man, I should have known better. Cafeteria cupcakes are like rocks! I obsessed for a minute or two, but the red faded into the normal red that is my cheek. I wasn't looking forward to explaining away that bruise. "Yeah, it was horrific. I was socked in the face with a cupcake."

Later in the period, Sam asks from across the room, "Miss Mathis, what does puta madre mean?" Students look up in mixed shock and amusement. My glare was not reserved for Sam... but for Claudia behind him.
"Claudia..."
"It wasn't me... he said someone else said it to him and he wanted me to explain it."
"What does it mean, Miss Mathis?" Sam asked again.
"It's something bad about your mother. It means she sleeps with a lot of men. And gets paid for it."
"Ohhhh..."
"Sam, you're lucky. You could probably curse up a blue streak and the only one who would understand you would be Inthivorn.

On unrelated notations, my palm hurts. I had a half an hour battle with a bottle of light corn syrup. It was in a recipe and I'd never opened the bottle before. It had been in my cupboard for at least a year... on one of my "get those items you probably only use once in a blue moon, but hate when you don't have" shopping trips where I purchased things like corn starch, cumin, and evaporated milk. Anyway. The lid would not come off. I seriously got so mad at it that I used like three knives to cut it off. It did take an entire half hour to remove... and finally I was successful and cutting out a wedge and popping it off with the leverage of a double ended crochet hook.

Netflix news? I watched Swordfish on Wednesday, which I liked, eye rolling at the gratuitous Hale Berry nudity, but admiring the shirtless Hugh Jackman at the beginning of the movie. Overall, pretty good, if a little predictable. I did however, love the behind the scenes comment of Don Cheadle. I paraphrase here: "Hugh's Australian which means he's pretty much illiterate. There are cue cards hidden everywhere... but he's pretty useless. He does a great Wolverine impression though."

Yesterday I watched Lost in Translation, which I found slightly disappointing. I was expecting something a little more profound, considering all the hype. I like the humor of it and the fish out of water, but it just seemed to drag on. I'd have to rate it an okay, but not one to own. I'm glad that LOTR won the awards over it.

Completely unrelated to info above, I called Mom on the way home from school yesterday.
Without preamble, Mom demands, "Tell me what's wrong with work?"
"Excuse me?"
"Something's wrong with Liz's work, Tricia told us."
"Ohh... no that's Melissa. Melissa's the one working with Psycho-Secretary."
Told the story to my mom.
"Tricia said she read about it somewhere, but I don't know where."
MOM ALERT : CHANGE OF SUBJECT
Had sort of quick panicky moment and totally realized how Tricia felt when Mom started reading her blog. I suddenly had visions of half told tales related completely out of context to all the various relatives.
"I know where she read it. I was actually calling about Saturday..."

No comments: