Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Chiles Rellenos, CAT6, and Capt. Janeway

The conclusion to a student essay:
"After you eat the fried chilies you have to let them cool down for about five minutes. Then you can feed the hungry people, but do not eat too many chilies because wehn you go to the bathroom, you will see what it is to take a poop after you have eaten chilies rellenos."

Nice.

Why oh why does it only have to be Wednesday? At least testing is over. Yesterday only went off with a few hitches. I was borderline assaulted by a student who thought it okay to grab my wrist with both hands and drag me towards her teacher's door so that she wouldn't have to go to OCS. I had a big red welt on my wrist right above the two inch scar my sister gave me years ago.

This was all after I had to get the department chair to come in and explain the CAT6 to a colleague who refused to listen to me and planned to administer the test in an illegal manner. The CAT6, unlike the CST's are timed tests. For example, you have 40 minutes to take the Language Arts part 1, then a small break and then another 40 for LA part 2. He just handed them the test and said, you have 50 minutes and when you're done with part 1 just go on to part 2. I tried nicely to explain how this was wrong, but he refused to listen. I was soooo mad. Everyone just keeps telling me "just wait. He's retiring." Yes, but that doesn't give him permission to break the law!

Last night I drove down to LA and met Liz and Annelise at McCormick's and Schmitt's... yeah my spelling sucks I think... anyway, Liz caught me up on my Alias and then we ordered too much food. ;) Part of that wasn't our fault. When Annelise's nachos arrived they had beans on them. I never knew that Annelise found beans so abhorrent. I knew Ken doesn't like cilantro or tomatoes... but beans were news to me. K&A and her brother are buying a house. I'm excited for them... but she and Ruthye started talking about interest rates and I rather tuned them out.

We met Ruthye at the Ahmanson and then headed in to see the play. It was The Royal Family, about a family of actors, some of whom think they want a normal life, but they can't tear themselves away from the stagepeople that they really are. Kate Mulgrew (aka Capt. Janeway) was Julie Cavendish, the center of the family. She really reminded me of a middle aged Kathryn Hepburn. The play was entertaining... not excellent, but good.

On my way home I hit fog just as I got to Long Beach. After the killer heat, it was such a strange sight, it seemed surreal, especially while walking down the alley. The field lights across the street were still on and the whole world was dark and light at the same time.

No comments: