Monday, April 26, 2004

Sunburns, Dreams and Ideas

Note to self: when putting on sunscreen... make sure you get both shoulders. It's strange how my burns hurt much worse today than they did yesterday. Slightly above my clavicle makes it hard to move without an ouch.

I got burned during the Festival of Books. Had a great time, wandering around, getting free stuff, checking out authors and books, and signing up for all the junk mail lists on the pretense that I might win something. Liz and I wandered about, occasionally joined by Adam and Rob. Though how Rob found us out of 70,000 people, I'll never know. We were at the poetry stage... which was probably a good bet. Anyway, after wandering we stopped by a few panels and then walked to the Village for CPK dinner then home. People I saw: Julie Andrews, Nicholas Sparks and his brother Micah, Francesca Lia Bloch, Richard Peck, Gary Soto, and David St. John. It's rather cool yet intimidating to see the authors behind the books. I'll say one thing, the Sparks Brothers are definitely cute. Too bad both are married. sigh.

That brings me to the second section of the title. I had a dream on Saturday night. It was quite odd for some reason and hung with me most of the morning. I usually have two sorts of dreams: ones where I'm me and dealing with people I know usually in locations that I'm familiar with... but things are oddly off, and the other kind... where I'm someone else and the people are more oddly stereotypes... they have faces, but not those I recognize if I think of it. This one was rather a mix of the two. I was climbing in the window of an old house to "talk" with this guy.(Keeping this somewhat G rated for obvious familial readers) We kept getting interrupted by people that I knew. Doesn't seem strange here, but there was something about it that seems odd. The memory of it feels so real it gives me the shivers. And I'm pretty sure the guy was James Marsters.

Mufasa just died. My students not taking the science test voted and The Lion King won over Beauty and the Beast. I've been resisting singing along with it... mostly.

Got an idea in the shower this morning. Get Ideas all the time, but the book started writing itself in my head. It had been trying to put itself together since Saturday, and finally it started out. First sentence. "I knew it was going to be a bad day when my biology teacher Mr. Sark explained that two blue eyed parents can only have blue eyed children."

No comments: