Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Planning

SWOTD - Empezar - to start.

Sometimes I think I should learn a bit faster that the beginning of the school year is crazy. Maybe because I was the kind of student that was paranoid the first month of school about having everything the way the teacher asked for it, I really can't understand when I give students a homework assignment and find that like 2% have actually accomplished it.

I am becoming a better teacher though. I now PLAN for only 2% having completed it and provide alternatives accordingly. 3 Subject Notebooks for example, I purchase cheaply in mass quantity, despite the raised eyebrows from the Big Lots and Walmart personnel. I also left time for most students to rotate through my silent reading books even though I told them to come prepared.

I think teaching is 50% planning, 30% back-up plan and 20% thinking on your feet.

No comments: