Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Precarious Posters

So, like the Olympic marathoners, I was tempted to kiss the ground after finishing my latest task of hanging posters... though I didn't... shiny as it is.

There are times when being 5 inches taller would be nice. I'm not asking for a Clare boost here, just enough to let me hang posters easily without standing on a stack of books on a chair ontop of a table.

In case you didn't know, the Walls of Wilson are stucko-concrete painted with a (I swear) teflon beige coating. NOTHING sticks to these walls. Masking tape, duck tape, scotch tape, poster tack... you name it. I even tried my British Blue Tack... which is just another kind of poster tack, but works so much better than our American stuff. During the year (usually right in the middle of class) things randomly fall off the walls.

I have found something that sticks fairly well. The 3M command adhesive hooks stay on pretty well, as long as you don't abuse them. I've invented a system where I literally string a clothesline across one wall, supported with a hook at either end. I did this in Grace and Judy's room two years ago, and theirs are still hanging. Mine from last year unfortunately fell down... of course right in the middle of class.

This year I decided to put my fun posters in the back of the room rather than the front... mostly because I need a ladder to reach the other side. I put a third hook in the middle of my new line, hoping for a longer staying time.

I'm sure this is all fascinating to all of you, but I'm quite proud of myself. So there.

No comments: