Wednesday, August 11, 2004

DC Day 1

So upon waking we decided it was Mel’s turn to get sick, but she was outvoted – plus we’d be out the night’s hotel in DC without 24 hour notice. So we hopped in the car and drove through Philly and Delaware, stopping for lunch somewhere in Maryland. We got to DC and our hotel and only made one U turn. We were all a little worried checking the wrong side of the street for our hotel.

Gallaudet University is really pretty with gorgeous brick buildings and lush green lawns. The room is in a conference center and the hotel runs a shuttle to Union Station, so after dropping off our bags, we decided to head to the American History Museum. We learned how to navigate the subway and especially – DC Metro doors eat people. Don’t get in their way.

We popped out in the middle of the Mall. I clicked a quick pic of the Capitol and the Washington Monument. The museum has such cool things as Harrison Ford’s suit from Air Force One and Indy’s jacket and Fedora. Ruby Slippers, Abe’s stove pipe hat, and Oscar the Grouch were some of the other coolio stuff. There was an exhibit on Presidents and another of The First Ladies. I never realized how ugly Martha Washington was. There was also a Beatles photo exhibit, an Ella Fitzgerald area, and the flag that was draped over the Pentagon on 9/11.

On the way back we stopped at Union Station Food Court – which was the largest I had ever seen. After exploring only half, I went for Indian while Clare and Mel went for Greek. Yummy. We’re now back at the hotel watching the tail end of Smallville and writing this. I did however, realize I forgot my p.j.’s. Good news is I get a bed all to myself now. J Despite Clare and Mel’s opinion, this was not deliberate.

No comments: