Friday, August 06, 2004

Leo and Dracula

7:03 pm - Three words – My Feet Hurt. I’m also coming down with a cold. I can feel it. Crap.

As soon as Clare finishes her dolling up, we’re off to the theater for some Dracula. We started off the day with a mission from Clare – Stamps and Coffee. So we walked down behind Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens – which is oddly circular and has no visible gardens – and there was Post Office Humongo. Mel waited below while Clare and I climbed the steps to mail her postcards. We skipped coffee for a tube ride followed by brunch – in my case water and a French toast muffin. Clare got her coffee and Mel went with a cranberry orange muffin I think.

11:37pm - Line of the night belongs to Melissa. While soaking feet in tub, Clare asks, “Do you want me to get more ice?”

“No, I already feel like Leonardo DiCaprio will be floating by soon.

Though we did less walking today, Mel’s feet are a mess. After brunch we headed to the Guggenheim. I was impressed with the architecture, less so with the exhibit. It was a bit odd. Hands. Pictures and pictures of hands. Hands holding children. Hands holding batons, pots and several pictures of hands holding cocks. Like I said – odd. Then there was one room with mainly Cezanne, Picasso, and a few Van Gogh and Degas thrown in for good measure. After perusing the gift shop we took our FIRST OFFICIAL NEW YORK CAB ride straight down 5th to Saks. After marveling at a $6,000 dress and a skirt on sale for $995, (oh yes, and yet more handbags and shoes) we went next door to St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

Clare – “A Cathedral’s a Cathedral and if I sit in that pew, I’ll have to kneel first so I’ll stand, thanks.”

Mel – “It’s too new in here. It’s only 125 and nothing’s falling over or smashed and they have no mystery people underneath the floor.” I’ll never forget Westminster Abbey where they put chairs over Charles Dickens.

So we walked up two blocks, caught the subway and ended up right back at the post office.
Back in the hotel room we discovered a Chinese food flyer under our door and decided to eat in rather than hurry to get dressed and go out. I took a nap. We ended up with Hunaan chicken, lemon chicken and sweet and sour pork. My eggroll had shrimp in it. Blegh!

“Wow, poetry,” says Mel.

We walked down to Times Square and hung a right to Dracula. Just like at La Jolla, there were people flyin’ everywhere. The second act was better musically than the first, but visually it’s a very cool production. Just wish we could have seen Chuck Wagner in it somewhere… I bet he would have been a better Van Helsing. The walk home was cool as we stared at all the bright lights on Broadway. Clare almost got us lost then she threatened to kick me when I started singing On Broadway.

Back in the hotel, we sucked Lady in the Purple Shirt into taking a picture or three of us all. Yeah! Then foot soak, now reading and BED!

No comments: