Saturday, July 03, 2004

Monkey Shorts

Last evening I spent an hour making monkey shorts. Now how many people can say that? My sister wanted a new outfit for her monkey. During Christmas I made her a rather ugly hat with some yarn we dragged out of Grandma's drawers. It probably had the same date as the ugly shag carpeting. Then she demanded a hat and scarf to match for her monkey... so off I went. Yesterday she wanted a new outfit. We started with a toga, and I ended up making shorts, complete with elastic waist band... but she'd better be careful, because "they're not active wear." I put in just enough stitches to hold them together, and that's it.

Today, I drove out to The Grove to meet Liz to go to Johnny Rockets and then see a movie. I got there about 3:45 and we had a nice lunch... mmm... milkshakes. When we headed to the theater, we noticed Delovely was sold out until the 10:45 show. Now that's a long time to wait for a movie... so we packed back into our cars and over to Century City and caught the 5:00 show which gave us just enough time to wander around the mall, checking out the reconstruction... and the bookstore before the show.

Delovely was a great movie, if you're a Cole Porter fan, like myself. I had a hard time not singing or poking Liz every time I heard a song I loved. The man was amazingly talented when it came to music, except it seemed strange to hear Kevin Kline, who I know has a better voice than that, sing like Cole Porter, who was simply an average singer.

The story was a bit oddly told, rather like "this is your life." The angel Gabriel comes to show the old Porter the times of his life before he dies. Lizzie was sniffing quite loudly at the end... I was too, but only a little.

No comments: