Thursday, July 22, 2004

Peace Counsel

This history class of mine has actually got my brain brewing.  For discussion section, Ingrid put us into groups and we had to try and settle for peace.  We were Pontiac's tribe.  I don't know about everyone else, but I had fun trying to taunt the English and the Iroquois.  They didn't seem like they wanted to argue though.  It's difficult to taunt someone into an argument when they just sit there on the bench staring at you.  Even though we were on the losing side (duh, we were Indians) I thought we did a better job than the other side. 

My brain has been brewing as of late.  I know November is a long way off, but I'm already thinking about Questiong... which I think is going to be the title of the third in my Great Mages trilogy.  Yes, I know my summer job was to get query letters out, but I've been busy. 

I think the concept of otherness and some of the tribes that we've been studying about are going to end up in my book.  I think there will be a tribe that gives gifts as signs of respect, and maybe even one tribe or place where eating their food and breathing their air will turn you into them... kinda like how the English thought they were going to be transformed.  And there's going to be a tribe that thinks they are witches and tries to kill them.

Of course for anyone who as not read my other two books, this may sound a little confusing, because it's all in note form.  But there's going to be a prince... son or grandsone of the King (who's a woman [see book 2]) and he feels pressure that he should go on a quest and prove his right to rule, like his mother did.  So Lasser, the Quest Master (see also Book 2) sends him on a quest to collect seeds from the sister trees of the Calca to complete the healing process that killed the magic (Book 1). The only problem is that the whole court tries to go with him as protection. 

So he runs away and bumps into a common boy, who happens to have run away from his parents whose names are Malek and Mitty (Book 1) . So with Snult (a dragon) in tow, they start off to the other countries where the seeds are located.  When M&M finally catch on, they panic and send the various Great Mages (except for Lynah... who still suffers from memory loss[book 2] and Saratin, who has to hold down the fort at home,) out to the different countries in search of their son. 

The Catch!  Oh you knew that was coming.  The catch being that they learn when they get their that the Calca tree's influence does not cross over the boundaries... and therefore, they lose all their magic and become regular people again. 

That's as far as my head plans have gotten.  I think it's all starting to come together nicely.

No comments: